Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Time with Nana and Papa

I’ve come to realize that if you have more than one child it is probably a good idea to find a way for each child to have their own separate time with the Grand Parents. Last weekend I sent my 5 year old over to Nana and Papa’s house for a few hours in the afternoon all by himself. He loved it and so did they. Having only one child visiting was easier for them and it allowed my son to have all the attention on him. He went to the grocery store with my mom and helped my dad in the yard; he didn’t have to compete with his brothers and was able to do what he wanted to do. I have talked in past posts about letting your kids develop their own identities and this is another way they can start to do just that. I know with my middle son he is usually inclined to do exactly what my older son does, when he is all alone he is able to be an individual and make choices on his own.

So I encourage you to split the kids up and send only one to the Grand Parents this weekend. Not only do they develop in their own personalities, it gives Grandma and Grandpa the opportunity to really connect with one child at a time.

1 comment:

  1. That is good. If only my parents lived closer, that could be my reality. It is good for kids to foster their own relationships special relationships. I loved the time with my "grammy"..it was the best. She has gone home to be with the Lord and I miss her terribly but I love the memories, they make the tears turn to smiles :)

    ReplyDelete