Sunday, February 20, 2011

Best Friends Forever

Being a transplant here in NC I have found that it is quite difficult to make friends. I look back at my teenage years and how I was friends with the entire school and I had at least ten Best Friends. When we are young it is really easy to trust and get to know another person, but as an adult it is much harder. I have been in NC for over five years now and still long to have Best Friends. I had to come to the realization that it just isn’t going to happen. With all the kid’s activities and my husband’s work schedule…. it is impossible to nurture a Best Friend connection with a whole bunch of women. I need to concentrate on making a connection with only one or two women instead. I have to allow myself to share my time with someone else who isn’t part of my family and appreciate the company of a “New” friend. I may never share the same type of diehard BFF feelings I had for my best friends in school, but I can share a more mature connection with another woman and grow to trust her and take on the role of being her Friend.

1 comment:

  1. It was easier to nurture BF relationships "back in the day" when all we had was us...The gift of true friendship in adulthood is that no matter how often (or rarely) you connect w/your real BF's it's like you've never left. Having lived in IL my whole life, I've wondered how one really makes friends when they relocate. Thanks for sharing, E!

    ReplyDelete