Thursday, February 24, 2011

Overload

Some might look at me and think I’m a control freak, well I am. I spent so many years early in my marriage overwhelmed by all the responsibility I had in any given week. Now it’s totally different. I have a schedule and I stick to it. I am on a schedule, my kids are on a schedule and so is my husband. I keep track of appointments, functions, free time, errands….all on a calendar in my phone. Figure out what works for you and schedule out your week before it happens. I can’t go day by day and not know what’s next, I have to have structure and have a plan of attack. Don’t make it a habit of overloading yourself with chores, kids, etc. If you have young babies like I do, make sure you have a proper nap schedule and make sure you follow it. There is nothing worse than a cranky baby in a grocery store. I always follow the rule of: go out to run errands first thing in the morning while the baby still has a full belly from breakfast and while he isn’t sleepy. All the housework can wait until I get back and after I put him down for his nap. You also might consider cooking dinner during nap time. If your afternoons are anything like mine you have to cook before the older kids get home from school. Think about it, dinner is ready so you can help with homework, eat, then off to practice and when you get home all the kids have to do is shower and go to bed. They go to bed on time and you don’t have to stay up and still do work. If you are one of my working friends plan your meals and cook everything on the weekend. I would do this when I was selling Real Estate, cook all my meals on Saturday morning and store them in divided containers, label them and put them in the freezer. Every morning I would pull out what I needed and by the time I got home the food was thawed and we had home cooked meals in just minutes. It really isn’t hard to stick to a plan and reduce the chaos in your daily routine.

Maybe you’re overloaded with other things you take on for other people. Think about it. Is it really worth running yourself crazy just to please other people? I used to think I had to participate in all my boy’s school activities and be the PTA President, Room Mom, Coach, Fundraiser, Hostess to all parties……and the list never had an end. If you asked me to do something I would always say yes. Well I learned to say no and it feels great. I am now able to dedicate quality time to the things I love. I was spread too thin with so many things I couldn’t give anything my best. Now I only take on the things that really mean a lot and things that will make a difference. I actually learned that I didn’t have to go on every field trip with my 9 year old son mainly because he doesn’t think I’m cool anymore. Well that’s one thing checked off my list. I also learned that I don’t have to attend every function I’m invited to. It’s good to just be able to relax and not run out to go here or go there just to show my face at a gathering. So I thought about the things I really wanted to do, like writing this blog, and I started to do it.

See the difference when you start giving your best effort to things you really want and love to do.

1 comment: