Sunday, February 13, 2011

PassThe Torch

Kids can do more than you think. When I was growing up my parents taught me how to do chores around the house at an early age. I started doing my own laundry at five years old. Yep I had a step stool in the laundry room and I could sort, wash, dry, fold and hang all my clothes. Looking back I didn’t think of it as odd, just what was expected of me. My chores were my way of doing my part in the family. Washing dishes, mopping the floor, using the vacuum all had to be done and we kids were the ones who did it.

I have a 9, 5, and 1 year old and I must say I regret not teaching them how to do things around the house sooner. We are currently working on how to do laundry, putting dishes away, vacuuming, and sweeping and all the other essentials of a clean home. My boys don’t really look at it as doing their part, but soon I hope they will grow to understand the importance of cleaning house and doing their chores.

So the parents who find themselves bogged down with too many chores and household responsibility, pass the torch onto the kids and allow them to grow up a little. It will help them establish self-worth and position in your family. Move them on up in the ranks and make them responsible for something new this week. For my one year old this week he will learn to put his shoes on the rack and hang his jacket in the closet. Try simple, but useful skills that will carry on to learning new tasks.

Make sure these tasks are easily accomplished and if they need help, help, don’t just do it for them. Put the kid’s dishes in a lower cabinet so they can reach or put in a lower rack in the closet so they can hang their own clothes, get a hand broom instead of a full size one and let them sweep under the table after dinner. Enjoy your child’s independence and celebrate their mastery by giving them a new chore this week, but keep it fun.

2 comments:

  1. Love it. My 4 year old sweeps and vacuums. He makes his bed everyday. My daughter is 3 and she is learning as well. She prefers to fold her clothes ( her way of course). I believe in teaching independence because never know when they will have to execute those task. For those that have a hard time with it.. Think of it this way.. One of the best gift you can give your child are skills and ability to take care of themselves.. Moms won't be there forever so celebrate those independent milestones with excitement.

    ReplyDelete