Saturday, February 12, 2011

Shhhhhh, Listen

If I hear my belly grumble I know I’m hungry, so I eat or if I hear pounding in my head I know I have a headache, so I take Tylenol. Tuning in and listening to my body is easy but listening to my kids isn’t. Over the years I have continued to struggle with not taking the time to really listen.

My oldest will start to fuss and moan and groan because his brothers are bothering him and the first thing I do is tell him to be quiet and stop complaining. Instead I need to be mindful of his feelings and allow him to express himself. I’m usually so focused on making him be quiet, thinking I’m settling the chaos, I don’t allow him to properly deal with the feelings and emotions.

If children feel heard then they feel respected. Remembering to let them have a voice allows them to have an identity and a place within the family unit. I’m not saying let them speak to you anyway they want; I’m only saying give a little and let them vocalize their thoughts and emotions. Having listening ears will built character in your little ones and set them up to be leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment