Monday, February 21, 2011

Best Friends Forever Continued

After yesterday’s post about best friends in adulthood, it got me thinking about my best friends from high school. I had the pleasure of going away to boarding school and with that came an awesome opportunity to meet and live with my best friends. You really get to know everything good and bad about a person when you live with them. Besides my twin sister there is another woman I call best friend, my friend Ericka, yep we have the same name. Ericka became my roommate my junior year in high school and I’m so grateful she was. We had awesome times in school but the part I want to talk about is our relationship now.

Ericka lives in NYC and I’m in NC so as you imagine we don’t get to see one another too often. I’m a mom and she isn’t, I’m married and she isn’t but our friendship I feel is stronger than ever. We get to chat on the phone a few times a month and see each other’s faces on Skype now and again. So what I’m saying is that we don’t communicate very often but when we do it’s like time never past. Best friends are like that, no matter how much time you spend apart, when you do see the other it’s like you never aged and you pick right back up where you left off.

I love being her friend because it isn’t work. We have a great bond and connection but it is effortless. We don’t waist our minutes on the phone together complaining about our significant others or for me the kids, we just enjoy the positive accomplishments in our lives, the stuff that’s going on now. A lot of people say their best friend is there to listen when times are hard or things are going wrong in their marriage, I’m thinking that’s not what your best friend should be there for at all, at least not now we are adults and married. If things are going wrong in your home, you need to fix them in your home; those things should stay between you and your spouse. Your best friend should be there to celebrate the good and all that is positive and that is what my best friend does for me. Please don’t get the idea I have never shared private issues with my friend or even my sister, because I have, but after ten years of marriage I have learned that it doesn’t get you anywhere. So I stopped all the bashing and started to enjoy the company of my friends instead. I don’t have to use the little time I get to spend with friends on negative things, there is plenty of time for that later.

So cherish your friendships and don’t abuse them by dumping your burdens on others. Best Friends should be given your Best.

No comments:

Post a Comment