Monday, February 14, 2011

Grow Baby Grow

For the past few years I have planted a garden. I like the idea of growing my own food and cutting costs as well as helping the environment. A lot of fuel is burned and pollutes the air transporting produce and if it travels for too many days you are not getting the freshest food possible. Not only that, with many fruits and veggies they lose key nutrients by sitting under those lights in the display that make them look so pretty. My point is, growing your food allows you more flexibility in meal planning and provides you and the family with healthy choices that you should be eating anyway; all while saving space in the landfills since you won’t be using plastic produce bags.

Planning a garden isn’t as hard as you think and doesn’t cost much either. On average a pack of seeds cost between $.99-$1.50 and one pack can produce 10-30 plants. Make a list of the herbs and veggies your family loves and next time you are in Target or Wal-Mart pick up a few packs. Starter kits are a fool proof way to get your plants going. If you want less work, buy immature plants from Lowes or Home Depot. Wait until the last frost and then start planting.

I have a compost bin (worm), rain barrel, and green house to help with all the herbs and veggies in my garden but all you need is a small space on the patio for containers or a small plot of workable land out in the yard. Have the kids help pull weeds and collect all the food. Now don’t go crazy and over plant, just plant what your family needs or just a little extra to store in the freezer for the winter months.

If gardening just isn’t your thing, think about only buying produce at the local Farmers Market or joining a Farm Share. Check out www.localharvest.com to find local farms in your area.

Happy Growing.

2 comments:

  1. I have had a garden the past couple of years out back of the house. Our first year my wife came home from one of the home improvement stores with 18 tomato plants. I gave a lot away that year, but often got some great stuff in return. I think that this year I may try to start a cooperative in the office...see if I can get everyone to plant one or two types of things and bring in the extras...might work well or fail miserably...I guess that we will find out! Great post. I may just read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've planted a small veggie garden in my backyard for 3 years. Each year, it's my guilty pleasure to spend hours on end in my yard; it is one of my favorite ways to spend my "me time" and the backyard is considered "Kiana's Room." I can't wait until this Chicago weather warms up so I can get started again. Interestingly enough, I think my first itchings to have a garden "when I grew up" came from YOUR mother...funny how things come full circle.

    ReplyDelete