Tuesday, February 8, 2011

One On One

So if your kids are anything like mine I’m sure you hear a constant chorus of…..”he hit me, STOP IT!, don’t touch me, get out my room…….MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY!!!!!” and this all happens before they leave for the bus. I’ve come up with a way that allows each of them to feel special and paid attention to. Now this might seem impossible since I’m clearly outnumbered, but I have figured it out. When school is over I make sure the older two have two separate areas to work. One will sit in the kitchen while the other is in the office. If the other brother is out of sight he is out of mind. Makes perfect sense. So the oldest works independently of the younger one and all are well in the Senegal household. I set up a computer for them to use after homework is done and each have 30 mins. While one is working on the computer the other is with me having their much needed alone time, well alone time with Mommy and baby brother. Usually this works well and has been appreciated by the boys. I yell less and feel in control all while making each of my boys feel special and loved.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Erica

    This looks like a good idea. I'm sure a lot of young mothers will appreciate your take on raising kids. Good luck and I will be checking it out daily.

    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey this great idea, but in my house im not sure if this will work. Any idea on how to get them to fight for time with dad. Just kidding i wouldnt want that job for nothing in the world. Dads role is different. Many times i have to be the bad guy. Im working on kids respecting our house as well as themselves. I want them to do the right thing just out of love for the space surrounding the kids. Sadly many times im loud to get my point across. Any suggestions

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous, my suggestion is simple... Kids usually only respect the things they earn or work for. With my boys we stick to a reward system. At a very early age they became responsible for earning toys, activities, privileges and even their own space. Besides having chores they must continue to respect themselves, each other and the things around them. Just as an example my oldest was having a hard time not breaking toys out of anger. So the solution was, if he couldn't respect his toys and belongings then he really didn't want them, so I collected every toy and stored them in the attic. The toys stayed there until he showed he really understood what it meant to be respectful. Don't put a time limit because they will quickly revert back to poor habits as soon as the time is up. If they know they will get their toys back at the end of a certain time they will just wait it out and not work hard enough to actually change their behavior. Now as far as them respecting each other, that’s a little harder. I usually enforce a punishment to all who are involved. So if the middle child hits and is fussing at the older one and the older one tells, they both get punished. This might seem harsh but I feel that they should encourage each other to follow the rules and be civil. I try to remind them to lead by example and give respect and love and they will receive it back. Hope this helps and please continue to follow my blog in the future.

    ReplyDelete