Monday, February 28, 2011

Local Food

Since spring is fast approaching I am getting my garden ready for planting. But with the warmer weather comes the opening of Farmer’s Markets. I encourage all my readers to seek out your local markets and take the whole family. It’s really a neat experience to see what the local growers are harvesting and they are usually really helpful with new recipe ideas for those unique vegetables we might not use frequently. Don’t forget that these markets also host beef, pork and chicken farmers. I just love the idea of getting my meat products from a farmer who doesn’t use hormones and who treats there animals with the utmost respect. I go to Creekside Farms in Concord, NC to buy my grass fed chicken, beef and pork. I have been able to develop a personal relationship with Farmer Chad and his family. He has never met a stranger and will invite anyone who’s interested to the farm for a tour of the barns and animals. This past fall the family and I were able to visit and see the baby turkey chicks that were being raised for Thanksgiving. I know what you’re thinking, how cruel, but it’s just the natural order of things. My boys really liked learning about the pregnant sows and seeing the freshly laid eggs in the coop.

Anyway, take a look at the links on the right side of my page and think about supporting your local farmers.

No comments:

Post a Comment