Monday, March 14, 2011

Caregiver Overload

This morning a friend asked me how to overcome her Caregiver Overload and I totally dodged her question and gave her no real suggestion. After getting in the car to head home the guilt set in and I felt awful for not having an answer to her situation. After thinking about it for a bit I realized I had no answer because I suffer from the same Caregiver Overload. In my friends case she is a mother, wife and a nurse, so every aspect of her live is taking care of other people. For most women this is the case, having the constant responsibility of taking care of your family and not ever seeing a reasonable break in sight. I pride myself on giving my family and friends my best but when your best runs out what do you do? I started to think about how I keep going when it gets hard and then it hit me. Recently I have been feeling really overloaded with life but I just think about an upcoming vacation my husband and I are going on and I realize that I will have a break soon. Being able to look ahead to something that is joyful and doesn’t include taking care of another person should provide some relief. This stage of life does have an end and then a new beginning comes, a new beginning that brings opportunity and possibly a little rest. Hang in there and trust that God only gives you what you can handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment