Monday, April 25, 2011

Grow Garden Grow

This weekend I planted my garden. I am a little behind schedule since I start all my plants from seed and the first set of seeds were duds. I started them over and now have them in the ground. I planted roma tomatoes, white potatoes, leeks, green peppers, walla walla onions, broccoli, cauliflower, long beans, butter crunch lettuce and all my herbs. I also have strawberries and garlic in hanging pots on the fence. I know it sounds like a lot but that is only half my garden. My darling husband built three new beds for me that we will fill with soil and compost in the fall for a whole crop of fall veggies. I’m actually thinking about doing grapes next year if I feel brave. I love my garden, it provides me with peace and tranquility. Love It!!! After all these years I finally found an outlet that provides me with an escape and it feels good. I sometimes daydream about living on my own small farm teaching my kids how appreciate what God has made.


I am currently shopping for a food mill so I can make my homemade tomato sauce and marinara sauces this summer. I seeded all the tomatoes by hand last year and I promised myself to never make that mistake again. If anyone has a food mill they love please recommend it to me. I want to buy one that is sturdy and heavy duty for the hundreds of tomatoes I will have to process for the jars of sauce. My goal is to use all my own onions, green peppers and tomatoes in my homemade sauce and can it for my pantry. I hope I can make enough to last me through the year. If anyone is interested in learning how to do this let me know I would love to have you over and teach a lesson, it really is an activity you and the kids will love. Happy Growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment