Monday, October 24, 2011

My Radical Yard Sale

This past Saturday was our Yard Sale and I must say it was a bit overwhelming to see all the "stuff" that has been crowding my home for the past six years out in the yard. We had a pretty good turnout of buyers, friends, family and neighbors; but best of all, complete strangers. I was energized and very motivated to make sure to share why I was having a yard sale to everyone who stepped foot on my driveway. I wanted to sell my "stuff" but mostly I wanted to let other people know that my family had made a choice for Christ. It was awesome. There were a few people who politely smiled and continued to shop but most of them started a dialogue about what we are planning for our family. We had a lot of laughs about some of the items for sale (like the late night QVC side sleeper pillows) but more importantly I was able to tell them that my love for Christ was way more important than the items they were looking at. We want to live a simple life so we can take our surplus and use it to spread the Gospel and that is our only motivation. The night before the sale I had butterflies in my stomach. Just thinking about how to approach shoppers and how to start a conversation made me nervous. When the morning came, God put every word in my mouth and without effort He used me to speak to every shopper.
I give Him all the glory in this journey we are taking as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment